Friday, May 15, 2009

The First Three Days

Wednesday May 13



Got up at 5:30 in the morning and left at 7 so we could make it to Fort Lauderdale for my flight to newark. The flight to Newark SUCKED. The plane was full and they almost didnt let me carry on my suitcase, but I charmed the flight attendant into letting me go. The flight was totally full and all the passengers were the oldest, lamest, crankiest bunch 'o fuckers i've ever encountered. some old guy insisted i trade seats with him so he could sit next to his wife, i obliged, so of course i ended up in a middle seat next to the token stinky guy. Everyone was pulling the same seat-trading bullshit, I dont understand, these people have been married for decades, you'd think they'd be able to handle two and a half hours apart. Guess not. The flight from newark to amsterdam was fine, as was the final flight from Amsterdam to Prague. from the Prague airport we rode a shuttle bus to our apartments in the center city area.

My room is cool (pictures coming soon) and my roommates are all good dudes. The first thing we did was go to a cafe down the street and make total american asses of ourselves by not knowing how to pay with czech money and asking for separate checks. oh well. fast forward to 9pm. We go to a bar called Chapeau rouge with $1.50 draft beer, it was awesome and they played The Cure and the Clash all night. The bartenders hated us at first for being american, but they warmed up as soon as we started getting hammered and spending money.

Thursday May 14

Woke up really hungover and had to be in class for a two hour lecture on Czech history at the school i'm taking classes. I was starving and went to Subway as i felt too shitty to deal with the language barrier at local restaurants. Took some ibuprofen then went on a short walking tour of the city, then toured the Jewish ghetto and a holocaust museum where the names of the 80,000 jews killed by the nazis were inscribed on the walls, unfortunately i couldn't take any pictures. Later I went to Tesco, the European version of Wal Mart for groceries. Talk about a fucking nightmare-madhouse. It was the messiest grocery store ever filled to the brim with stinky barging europeans, but I managed to score some great produce and sausage and bread. I fuckd up and acted a fool in the checkout line as i forgot to bag my own groceries and i ended up holding up the whole line. Later me and two other guys walked across the river and had a beer in a pub full of rowdy drunk Germans and were overcharged by the surly anti-American bartender. We dipped and met up with everyone else at a touristy nightclub with beer-dispensing tables. Passed out at around 4, more to come soon.

1 comment: