Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Saturday, Sunday, and Monday

Saturday, May 16

After staying out way later than I had planned, I dragged myself out of bed in time for our 9:30am tour of Prague castle and the cathedral. It was definitely worth the lack of sleep. The cathedral was incredibly beautiful and the view from the top of the hill on which the castle sits was awesome. You could see all the embassies at the base of the hill, and it was funny when we noticed that the american embassy was the only one that is mainly underground; only the good ole USA would need to burrow into a hill for security reasons. After the tour the whole group was herded into our apartment and given a "talkin' to" about our rowdy behavior during the past few nights; apparently the Czechs can't handle us, but I really think it's just because they hate our freedom. I needed groceries to I walked to a much calmer and cheaper store called Albert. Got the essentials and went to the checkout line; I don't know how to ask for bags and the cashier did't speak English so I had to fashion my jacket into a sack so I could carry my food back to the apartment. I looked like a total douche but oh well. Hung out in the room for awhile, then gathered up some people to go out with. We met up with Maria and she walked us to a cool little local watering hole with the cheapest beer yet. A few of the guys were buying the bartender beer and shots so he was loving us, although I don't think anyone else in the bar shared our enthusiasm. We got bored and decided to follow Maria to a giant club near St. Charles bridge. We ran into the rest of our group in Old Town Square and ended up not following Maria, which I think pissed her off a bit, but oh well the party must go on. We stood around in the street for awhile and argued about where to go next until me and a few other guys decided to revisit the Beer Factory. Drank there for awhile (the tables have kegs in them!!!) and listened to the same 80'as and 90's pop superhits that the Czechs play in all their drinking establishments until someone suggested we check out the gentlenmen's club across the street. I was hesitant until Mitch told me he was going, so I of course caved because I have no willpower. Strangley there was no cover charge, but as soon as we sat down and started watching a decent looking girl entertain the local perverts sitting next to the stage a waitress came up and told us we were required to purchase a beer for 200 crowns. That was all I needed to hear, Mitch and I got up and hightailed it out of there. Went back to the apartment and crashed.

Sunday, May 17

Woke up around 1 and laid around watching czech television until someone suggested we go check out this eiffel tower replica that is on the same hill that the castle is located. Rode the tram out there and climbed the steep hill, admiring the view and great weather the whole way up. Made it to the summit and went up in the tower and took pictures of the city; the tower was so tall that you could see all the way to the mountains that mark the German-Czech border. After taking a few pictures we descended the tower and walked down the hill. Rode the tram back to the apartment and tried to go to bed early, but instead ended up getting caught up in a game of beer pong.

Monday, May 18

First day of classes. Classes are supposed to last 3 hours but thankfully our instructor shortened them to an hour and a half. Classes were really interesting and I'm so glad to finally be taking classes that actually interest me and pertain to my major rather than the Gen ed bullshit i've been dealing with all this past year. Mitch introduced himself to two Czech kids in one of our classes so we went out with them to Chapeau Rouge that night and had a blast. I was super tired so I took it slow and headed back early.

No comments:

Post a Comment